A. It has been reported that some medications, for example high blood pressure medicines, may precipitate a sudden onset of flushing, which can aggravate rosacea. Be sure to let your dermatologist know of any medications you may be taking for other disorders.
A. Rosacea is a chronic disorder, rather than a short-term condition, and is often characterized by relapses and remissions. A retrospective study of 48 previously diagnosed rosacea patients found that 52 percent still had active rosacea, with an average ongoing duration of 13 years.1 The remaining 48 percent had cleared, and the average duration of their rosacea was nine years.
While at present there is no cure for rosacea, its symptoms can usually be controlled with medical therapy and lifestyle modifications.2
Moreover, studies have shown that rosacea patients who continue therapy on a long-term basis are more likely to maintain remission.3
Macsai MS, Mannis MJ, Huntley AC: Acne rosacea. In: Eye and Skin Disease.
Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven Publishers, 1996, pp. 335-341.
Lindow KB, Warren C: Understanding rosacea: A guide to facilitating care. American Journal of Nursing. 2001;101:44-52.
Dahl MV, Katz HI, Krueger GG, et al: Topical metronidazole maintains remissions of rosacea. Archives of Dermatology. 1998;134:679-683.
Submit a Question
Readers of Rosacea Review are invited to submit Questions to the "Q & A" column, to be used as space permits. Address your Questions to:
196 James St.
Barrington, Illinois 60010