Rosacea patients often must take special precautions in caring for their sensitive skin. Here are some general guidelines:
- Treat your skin gently. Avoid rough washcloths, loofahs, brushes, sponges and hot water, especially hot showers.
- Let your face rest. After blotting your face dry, wait a few minutes before applying topical medication. Then allow the medication to dry for five to 10 minutes before applying any make-up.
- Ocular rosacea. Be sure to follow your doctor's directions for eyelid scrubbing or medication.
- Use an electric razor. Dull razor blades may cause irritation on sensitive facial skin. Also, avoid shaving lotions that burn or sting.
- Steer clear of harsh ingredients. Do not use over-the-counter products that may cause burning, stinging or redness until you've checked with your doctor.
- Select cosmetics that are not irritating. Check with your doctor if you're having difficulty.